Usha Martin is one of the largest manufacturers of wire ropes in the world and leading specialty steel manufacturer in India. With a history of more than 50 years, the company has a global base of wire rope manufacturing with facilities located in India, UK, Dubai, and Bangkok. For specific products, Usha Martin has collaborated with globally reputed companies like Gustav Wolf of Germany, Joh Pengg of Austria and TESAC wire rope of Japan.
With a philosophy that quality ropes are made from quality steel, the company set up specialty steel plant in 1974. The plant uses high quality iron ore and coal from captive mines enabling it to achieve high consistency in raw material quality and hence a consistent quality of steel products. Today, with one million tonne capacity, it is the largest specialty steel plant in India in long product segment.
The company’s vision is “To be the global leader of the wire rope industry and the leading specialty steel manufacturer in India, by delivering customer delight, adopting modern technology and ensuring sustainable, inclusive growth for all of its stakeholders”.
This vision is manifested in the fully integrated steel and wire rope business model of the company.
- Mr. B.K. Jhawar – Chairman Emeritus
- Mr. B.K Jhawar, Chairman Emeritus, is a commerce graduate and the founder of the Usha Martin Group. He has founded and spearheaded several successful industrial enterprises of the Group in India and abroad. Mr. Jhawar was on the Board of Trustees of UTI as a nominee of IDBI for eight years and was on the Board of ICICI for about six years. Mr. Jhawar is actively involved in social development activities and has promoted a highly successful NGO, ‘Krishi Gram Vikas Kendra’ and Agriculture and Rural Development Centre for the economic and social upliftment of tribals in the State of Jharkhand and he is its President.
- Mr. Prashant Jhawar – DIRECTOR
- Mr. Prashant Jhawar, Director, is a commerce graduate, and has been closely associated with the company since its inception. He has industrial experience of more than 20 years. Under his leadership, the Usha Martin Group had successfully diversified in the areas of telecom and software. Mr. Jhawar has studied Management Development courses at the Wharton Business School. He was a member of the CII, Eastern Region Council, the Chairman of CII International Trade Sub-Committee and was a Member of the Eastern Region Advisory Committee of IDBI.
- Mr. Brij K Jhawar – Director
- Mr.Brij K Jhawar, Director, is a science graduate and one of the founders of the Usha Martin Group. He did his Mechanical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata and was granted Diploma of Fellowship of The Institution of Engineers (India) in the year 1987 for his outstanding contribution to the progress and advancement of the mechanical engineering fraternity. He is a great believer in human values and human resources development. He is very conscious of industries’ social obligations and is actively involved with Krishi Gram Vikas Kendra as its Vice President.
- Mr. G.N. Bajpai – CHAIRMAN
- Mr. G.N Bajpai, Chairman, holds a Master’s Degree in Commerce from the University of Agra and a Degree in Law (LLB) from the University of Indore. He was the former Chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India, Life Insurance Corporation of India and Corporate Governance Task Force of International Organization of Securities Commission of the Insurance Institute of India, a counterpart of Chartered Insurance Institute, UK. He was also on the Governing Board of Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow and also has been a visiting faculty at leading Institutes of Management and Training. He has served/serves as non Executive Chairman and a Director on corporate boards in India and other countries
- Mr. Jitender Balakrishnan – Director
- Mr. Jitender Balakrishnan, Director, is a B.E [Mech] from National Institute of Technology, Madras University and holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Management from Bombay University. Mr. Balakrishnan at the time of his retirement was Dy. Managing Director & Group Head – Corporate Banking of IDBI Bank Ltd and has served as IDBI’s representative on various committees in fertilizer, oil & gas, telecom sectors and high level committee on ultra mega power projects. Mr. Balakrishnan is also on the board of various other companies.
- MR. VENKATACHALAM RAMAKRISHNA IYER – NOMINEE
- Mr. Venkatachalam has been associated with State Bank of India (SBI) since 1974 and has held various positions within SBI. He has rich experience in finance and banking matters.
- Mr. Salil Singhal – Director
- Mr. Salil Singhal, Director, is an industrialist and is associated with his family business since 1965. He was the Chairman of Crop Care Foundation (erstwhile Pesticides Association of India) for 17 years and was subsequently elected as Chairman Emeritus for life by the members of the Foundation. Mr. Singhal was also a member of the Executive Committee of the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry [FICCI] and the Chairman of Environment Committee of FICCI for 5 years. He was also the past Chairman of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Northern Region. He is presently the Chairman of the National Council of SMEs of CII and is a member of National Council of CII.
- Mr. Partha S Bhattacharyya – Director
- Mr. Partha S Bhattacharyya, M.Sc (Physics) from Jadavpur University and FICMA hails from a well educated freedom fighter’s family. He joined Coal India Limited as a Management trainee in 1977 and rose to become its Chairman in October 2006. During his tenure, Coal India launched the largest Indian IPO in 2010 and in 2011 it joined the exclusive club of Maharatna CPSEs. The Forbes magazine recognized him as a high achiever of the year 2010. He has also been featured in a document published by Tata McGraw Hill released in Mumbai on February 10,2011, as one of the transformation leaders of Corporate India. Mr. Bhattacharyya was the Chairman of the Research Council of Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research (CIMFR), Dhanbad for 3 years from April, 2010. During his career he has received many awards & accolades, notable among the many are (a) the coveted ‘SCOPE GOLD TROPHY AWARD’ in 2009 for excellence and outstanding contribution to the public sector management- Institutional Category 2007-08 for CIL (b) ‘SCOPE SPECIAL AWARD OF THE JURY’ for self in 2010 (c) Swami Vivekananda excellence award in Corporate Leadership in 2011 (d) CEO of the year award for 2010 from Indian Chamber of Commerce & World HRD Congress. Mr. Bhattacharyya is currently an Executive Director in Deepak Fertilizers And Petrochemicals Corporation Limited.
- Mrs. Aarthi Ramakrishnan – Director
- Mrs. Aarthi Ramakrishnan holds a degree in law from National Law School of India University, Bangalore and MBA from Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta. Mrs. Ramakrishnan has rich experience in legal & regulatory matters, investment banking and capital markets and has held senior positions in investment banking at DSP Merrill Lynch, HSBC Securities, Credit Suisse Securities. Presently she is the Managing Director and Head – Investment Banking of Mizuho Securities.
- Mr. Mukesh Rohatgi – Director
- Mr. Mukesh Rohatgi is a B.Tech (Chemical Engineering) from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi and MBA from Faculty of Management Studies from University of Delhi. Mr. Rohatgi has over three decades of experience in project engineering and oil & gas industry and has been associated with leading corporate houses like Essar Group, Hindustan Prefab Limited, Bharat Forge Limited. He was Chairman and Managing Director of Engineers India Limited and prior to joining Engineers India Limited he was Director (Refineries) of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited. He is presently associated with Korus Engineering Services Private Limited.
- Mr. Rajeev Jhawar – Managing Director
- Mr. Rajeev Jhawar, Managing Director, is a Commerce Graduate. He has been associated with the Group for more than a decade and brings with him rich experience in the administration of industrial enterprises. Mr. Jhawar also underwent Management Development Course at London Businesses School.
- Mr. P.K. Jain – Joint Managing Director
- Mr. P.K Jain, Joint Managing Director, is B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering) and MBA (General Management & Finance). Mr. Jain commands rich experience in operations, project implementation, product marketing, brand building, setting up dealers and distribution networks apart from in fields of production, maintenance quality cost optimization etc. He has widely traveled across various locations during his professional career.
- Mr. Rohit Nanda – Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- Mrs. Shampa Ghosh Ray – Company Secretary
- Company Secretary
The company has a long history of more than 50 years. Since its inception, the company has been continuously adopting modern technologies in its manufacturing process and expanding its global presence to ensure close proximity to customer. A glimpse of year wise history is listed below:
Steel Business (Usha Alloys & Steel Division)
The specialty steel division, established in 1971, today operates one of the largest specialty steel plant in India in long product segment near Jamshedpur. The plant has an illustrious history of collaboration with well known companies like Ovako Steel (now SKF Steel) of Finland, Nikko Industries of Japan, Hamburger Stahlwerke GmbH of Germany, Daido Steel of Japan and recently Aichi Steel Corporation (a Toyota Group Company) of Japan. The captive iron ore and coal mines provide a high order of consistency in raw material quality, resulting in consistent quality of steel products manufactured . The company manufactures special steel bars and wire rods that find application in various sectors including automobiles, railways, tractors and off highway vehicles, machinery, consumer goods and general engineering. All its manufacturing facilities are ISO 9000 certified and the steel plant was India’s first to receive the TPM Excellence Award from JIPM, Japan. The steel plant has iron ore beneficiation facility, Sinter Plant, Coke oven and Blast furnace to produce Hot Metal. The micro fines of iron ore are used to make pellets in pellet plant, which are converted into Sponge Iron in DRI kilns. A mix of Hot Metal and DRI is fed to Electric Arc Furnace for making steel which is refined in Ladle Furnace (LF) and Vacuum Degassing (VD) units before casting in Continuous Casting Machines (CCM). The billets from CCM are rolled into bars or wire rods in Blooming Mill/Bar Mill and Wire rod mill respectively. The rolled products are thoroughly checked to ensure that every product dispatched from the plant is of high quality to meet stringent requirement of customers. The company produces bright bars near Chennai and Ranchi of different sizes and shapes such as Round(6-/80mm), Hexagonal(8-31.65 mm) and Profile(as per customers requirement). The bright bars are produced using spring steel, carbon steel, free cutting/leaded steel, alloy steel, ball bearing steel and other grades as per customer requirement under cold drawn, ground and peeled conditions. The Chennai unit is strategically located in the Automobile hub of India and car makers like Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota Motors, Ford India are located nearby.
The company is a global giant in wire rope industry, with facilities in India (near Ranchi and Hoshiarpur, Punjab), Worksop (UK), Aberdeen (UK), Rotterdam (The Netherlands), Dubai (UAE) and Bangkok (Thailand). To remain close to the customers, the company has a wide network of offices in India, USA, Europe, UAE, China, South East Asia and Australia. The company’s facilities are equipped with world class machines and equipment to ensure the best quality products for its customers.
These products find diverse applications such as oil & gas, mining, crane, elevator, mining aerial, structural etc. Some renowned projects where company has supplied its wire rope include Lion’s gateway bridge(Canada), Vidyasagar setu bridge(Kolkata,India), World’s highest oil pipeline(Papua & New Guinea) etc.
Manufacturing Facilities for Wire/Wire-rope products
- Ranchi, India (Wire Ropes & Speciality Products Division)
- Usha Martin facility at Tatisilwai near Ranchi is one of the world’s largest wire rope manufacturing facility under one roof. Spread across an area of 500 acres, this facility employs more than 1,700 people.
Along with Wire Rope, this unit produces Wires, LRPC Strands, Cords, OT Wires, Slings, Pre Stressing Products, Bright Bar and Engineering Machines. The plant is equipped with a complete range of facilities such as Patenting, Galvanizing, Drawing, Stranding, and Closing machines for manufacturing of Wire, Strand, Wire Rope and Cord.
The facility is certified with ABS Manufacturing Certification, ABS Certificate for design assessment, API Certificate, DNV Certificate, ISO 9001 – 2008 (ANAB, UKAS), ISO 14001, Lloyd’s Certificate, NABL Certificate for Mechanical Test & NABL Certificate for Chemical Test. The in-house rope design facilities and testing facilities help this unit to continuously improve the quality of ropes manufactured.
This facility received TPM certification from Japanese Institute of Plant Maintenance and is working towards TQM (Total Quality Management).
- Ranchi, India (Pengg Usha Martin Wires Private Limited)
- This facility near Ranchi, India, to produce Oil Tempered Wire, primarily used in Automotive Industry, is a joint venture between Joh-Pengg of Austria and Usha Martin Limited. The product size ranges from 1.4 mm to 10 mm. The company is well equipped with facilities like shaving line, oil tempering, testing line, patenting, wire drawing, packing etc. The continuous oil tempering process optimizes wire properties and results in a stress-relieved, homogenous wire structure with no deformation texture. The wires produced from this process provide excellent fatigue life and reliability even at elevated operating temperatures and a high resistance against relaxation.
The wires find application in engine valve springs, clutch springs, springs for fuel injection systems, damper springs, die springs, etc.
- Hoshiarpur, India (Wire & Wire Rope Division, North)
- Known for producing high quality wires and wire ropes, the Hoshiarpur facility of Usha Martin produces a wide range of products including Detonator wires, CO2 Welding wires, PC wires, CHQ wires, GI wires, Needle wires, CA wires, Spring Steel wires, Mattress wires, Shutter wires, Tiller wires and wire ropes (both Galvanized and Un-galvanized wire rope).
- Worksop, UK (Brunton Shaw UK)
- Brunton Shaw UK, a subsidiary of Usha Martin, is a manufacturer of high quality wire ropes for a wide range of applications. This facility, located at Worksop in UK, has more than 100 years of experience in wire rope manufacturing.
- Aberdeen, UK (European Manegement and Marine Corporation Limited)
- European Management & Marine Corporation (EMM Corp), UK, part of Usha Martin Group, is one of the largest providers of wire rope, supplying worldwide full range of wire rope products, shackles, slings, lifting and rigging gear including marine mooring equipment and anchoring systems.
It is a one-stop service company, also offering heavy spooling services, proof testing and inspection facilities, full rigging shop services covering pressed terminations from 3mm diameter up to 102mm diameter and wire rope socketing.
- Rotterdam, Holland (De Ruiter Staalkabel BV)
- De Ruiter Staalkabel, a trusted name in wire rope products and services is a group company of Usha Martin, offers a wide range of services including mobile spooling, tensioning, load testing, break testing, Inspection, Testing & Certification services.
Its mobile spooling winches can handle reel weights from 7 ton till 150 ton. The tensioner is equipped to install crane and winch wires under a pretension of max 40 ton. Load testing and break testing can be executed on 300 ton LRS approved testing bench. In addition, De Ruiter offers Inspection, Testing and Certification of Hoisting and Lifting equipment.
- Dubai, UAE (Brunton Wolf, Wire Ropes FZCO)
- A sound logistics advantage due to its geographical location and supported by a large efficient port like Jebel Ali, enables the Dubai facility to supply ropes faster at all parts of the world. This facility under Brunton Wolf, a company formed by Usha Martin and Gustav Wolf of Germany, produces wire ropes including compacted & plasticated ropes.
- Bangkok, Thailand(Usha Siam Steel industries Public Company Limited)
- The Bangkok facility, under Usha Siam Steel Industries Limited (USSIL), is the largest wire and wire rope manufacturing company of Thailand. USSIL was incorporated in 1980 and today the company manufactures a wide range of products such as Steel Wire Rope, Auto Cables, Fine Rope, Strands and Specialty Wires that find applications in piling, oil & gas drilling, elevator, crane and hoist, fishing, auto cable, braded cable, highway guard rope, garage door rope.
Global Design Center, Italy
Usha Martin’s global design centre in Italy develops wire ropes that exceed customer’s expectations and provide customers the benefits of technical developments in wire rope industry. Besides rope design and testing, the centre is actively engaged in providing technical assistance in the form of evaluating customer concept design of new equipment, conducting training for customers about rope properties, and managing special tests required by customers.
The proprietary design software used by the centre enables us to provide products that are the best in class. The centre is the hub for integrating and distributing know-how in various facilities of the company so that the customer always gets a consistent quality of product and technical services from Usha Martin and its group companies.
Silvassa, Western India (UM Cables Limited)
UM Cables is a dedicated manufacturer and exporter of high quality Cables. It produces various types of cables including Optical Fiber Cable, Jelly Filled Copper Cable, Aerial Cable, Aerial Copper Cable, Duct Copper Cable, Multimode Fiber Cable, etc. Set up in 1987, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Usha Martin Limited and is located at Silvassa, Western India. The products find wide usage in industries like information technology, electronics and telecommunication.
With a global network spread all across the world, Usha Martin understands the local demand and provides best services catering to customer’s requirements.